Park at the trail head located east of the Diamond Drive-San Ildefonso roundabout. Follow the trail east. You will arrive at a fork in the trail. While all of the trails here are considered Bayo Canyon Trails, the right-hand trail is also called the Lujan Road. Follow this main trail to the right.
Several of the current hiking trails in and around Los Alamos were originally old roads, including this one from the Homestead Era. Martin Lujan and his son Manuel, who homesteaded here from 1916-1926, built parts of this road, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The people from the past—with their hopes and dreams, hardships and heartbreaks—remain alive in the memories of their descendants. For newcomers, homesteaders left behind traces of their lives inscribed into the landscape. Pieces of old roads remain by virtue of their isolated locations in rugged terrain. We can still walk along old roads and trails kept open over the years. How better to reflect upon the lifestyle of those hardy people?
There are two paths that lead off of this trail to the stables. One of them was originally a road built by the Lujan family as a short-cut to reach their homestead on the top of this mesa. Imagine bringing horses and wagons filled with supplies and water up this road. Use clues to figure out which one of the trails to the stables is the old Lujan Road.
1. Parallel ruts for wagon wheels. Where are the ruts the deepest? How deep are they?
2. Pick marks in the rocks from tools used to build the roads.
3. Constructed walls on the downhill side of the trail.