You may be the perfect fit for us!
LOS ALAMOS HISTORICAL SOCIETY (LAHS)
Job Title: EDUCATOR (Half Time)
Department: Museum Services
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary Structure/Range: $20-$22 per hour, Exempt
In accordance with policies approved by the Board of Directors of LAHS, and under the general supervision of the Executive Director, the Educator develops, implements, and assesses adult and youth educational and outreach programming, incorporating, where possible, all elements of the LAHS Museum Campus. Responsibilities also includeorganizing and leading field trips, coordinating group tours, and developing engaging museum programs.
Primary Departmental Duties and Responsibilities:
Coordinating with staff across the organization, the Museum Educator:
- Creates and offers school-related and summer activities for youth; multi-generational activities for families;
- Develops history-related programing and services for adults, the long-standing LAHS Lecture Series among others;
- Serves as primary point of contact and maintains the calendar for groups and classes visiting the Museum and taking guided tours;
- Works with schools, teachers, groups, and organizations to publicize and promote age-appropriate activities throughout the museum campus;
- Assists with website management and social media management as it pertains to Museum Educator’s activities;
- Assists the Volunteer Coordinator with volunteer subject matter training, in particular Tour Guide training.
Additional Departmental Duties and Responsibilities:
● Raises awareness of the Los Alamos History Museum Campus as a resource within the community by working with local cultural and community organizations in developing partnerships, collaborations, and special programs to serve their unique needs. Examples of continuing collaborations are the National History Day event, the Manhattan Project National Park partnership, and support of the Los Alamos Historic District;
- As part of an organization-wide effort, works to increase visitation to all elements of the Museum Campus, Manhattan Project National Historical Park, and the Los Alamos downtown area;
- May assist with development and marketing of LAHS displays, exhibits, and services that relate to education.
Organizational Duties and Responsibilities:
● May serve as docent and/or tour guide when necessary;
● May assist with development and tracking of the departmental budget;
● Strives to expand personal knowledge of and appreciation for all periods of Los Alamos history;
● Provides regular reports of services performed and other data required for use by the department, organization, and funding entities;
● May contribute to preparation and tracking of grants submitted by LAHS;
● Participates in, serves on, or assists with organizational trainings, meetings, committees, retreats, etc. in support of the department and/or LAHS;
● Performs occasional other duties as determined by the Executive Director.
All LAHS staff are expected to:
● Perform satisfactorily according to annual organizational, departmental, and individual goals;
● Contribute to a customer-friendly, collaborative, and professional environment for staff and the public, e.g., by assisting as needed with any aspect of departmental – and occasionally organizational – activities;
● Adhere to schedules;
● Adhere to applicable state and federal laws and organizational policy, in particular, the elements of the LAHS Employee Handbook.
Physical Working environment:
- Position is hourly, half-time;
● Work requires evening and/or weekend hours.
Qualifications and Key Competencies:
● Required: Any combination of education, training, skills, experience, or technical abilities equivalent to
o BA, preferably in education, history, museum studies, or related field;
o 2 years experience in formal or informal education environment;
o Strong interpersonal and customer service skills;
o Ability to connect with people in a broad range of ages and interests;
o Excellent oral and written communication skills;
o Computer skills including fluency in the use of email, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel;
o Experience with or wiliness/ability to learn virtual meeting tools such as Zoom, Microsoft Teams, GoToMeeting, etc.;
o Experience in or ability/willingness to learn to contribute and post content to social media and websites;
- ***Possession or acquisition within 6 months of a valid U.S. state driver’s license, preferably from New Mexico;
- ***The ability to lift and move materials up to 25 lbs. from one location to another;
- ***The ability to climb stairs.
*** These are considered essential functions of the job.
● Preferred: Any combination of education, training, skills, experience, or technical abilities equivalent to:
o Familiarity with New Mexico Social Studies standards;
o Grant writing skills;
o Experience in use of database systems.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover every duty required or working situation and can be changed or updated at any time.
Please submit cover letter, references, and resume to: email@example.com