The Los Alamos Historical Society preserves, promotes, and communicates the remarkable history and inspiring stories of Los Alamos and its people for our community, for the global audience, and for future generations. We do this through the Los Alamos Historical Museum, the Los Alamos Historical Society Archives and Collection, publications through Bathtub Row Press, ownership and interpretation of historic buildings, educational programs such as our lecture series, and more.
Our vision is to be respected worldwide as the source and repository for the compelling history of Los Alamos and its people from prehistory to contemporary times.
Photo: The upright log construction of The Big House, the dormitory for the Los Alamos Ranch School, inspired John Gaw Meem when he built Fuller Lodge.
Guided Walking Tours of Historic District Available
The Los Alamos Historical Society offers docent-guided tours of the Los Alamos Historic District Mondays, Fridays, and Saturdays at 11 from now through mid-October. Step inside the homestead-era Romero Cabin, visit an Ancestral Pueblo site, hear about the giants of 20th centurty physics who walked these streets, and learn how Bathtub Row got its name. The one-hour tours depart from the Historical Museum, where tickets are available.
Prices are $10 for those 18 and over, $5 for ages 13-17 (or free with high school ID). Children 12 and under are free with a ticketed adult. Please call the Museum at 505-662-4493, if you have questions. We hope to see you this summer!
Historical Society Honors Its Legacy Society Members
On Saturday, June 21, the Los Alamos Historical Society honored members of its Legacy Society, those who have donated to the Society through their estate plan. Read more about it in this wonderful article from the Los Alamos Daily Post.
Historical Society Acquires Historic Bathtub Row Home
Thanks to the generous donation of Clay and Dorothy Perkins, collectors of Manhattan Project artifacts, the Los Alamos Historical Society is acquiring the historic home at 1350 Bathtub Row. Originally built in 1931 for the business manager of the Los Alamos Ranch School, the house served as home to two Nobel Prize winners, Edwin McMillan (transuranic chemistry) and Hans Bethe (astrophysics). Because of Bethe's long connection to Los Alamos and leading role in the Manahttan Project and beyond, the Society is calling the house the Hans Bethe House. It is next door to the wartime home of Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer, which the Society owns in a life trust.
The Historical Society will use space in the Bethe House to tell stories of the role Los Alamos played in the Cold War. As Clay and Dorothy Perkins were close friends of former Los Alamos Laboratory Director Harold Agnew, the new part of the museum complex will be dedicated to telling the stories of Harold's role in Los Alamos and as a Cold Warrior.